Mind Matters Most – Anapana meditation to help personal resilience
Anapana is the first step in the practice of Vipassana meditation. Anapana means observation of natural, normal respiration, as it comes in and as it goes out. It is an easy to learn, objective and scientific technique that develops concentration of the mind. Observation of the breath is the ideal object for meditation because it is always available. Anapana provides a tool to deal with the fears, anxieties and pressures across all age groups, including children. Besides helping to calm and concentrate the mind, Anapana helps people to understand themselves better and gives them an insight into the workings of their own minds. Because of its simplicity, the technique is easy to understand and practise.
- A Mini Anapana session should be played in a quiet hall or room suitable for meditation
- Participants must agree to stay for the entire time of the session, and maintain complete silence throughout it
- Participants can be anyone above the age of ten years
- The only instructions given should be Mr Goenka’s Mini Anapana recording.
- Neither the person hosting the session nor anyone else should give any other instructions, either live or recorded
- There should be no charge whatsoever for attending a Mini Anapana session
- First listen to the Introduction and Practice Session. Once you understand how to practise, you can try the ten-minute Practice Session every day.
Note: Participants who attend Mini Anapana sessions will not be considered as “Old Students” in this tradition. They cannot participate in any programme designated as “For Old Students only.”
Ways to listen to Mini Anapana:
- Download the dhamma.org app on to your phone from the App store or Google play: Go to More > Audio Resources > Mini Anapana Meditation for instructions and recordings
- Direct download from this website:
Short Introduction and Anapana Practice Session – Total 25 minutes <audio controls="" controlslist="nodownload" preload="none" src="https://discourses.dhamma.org/oml/recordings/uuid/4603a502-8fc7-44a3-9b18-f9d06941dc4b.mp3" type="audio/mpeg">Your browser does not support the audio element.</audio>
Anapana Practice Session – 10 minutes <audio controls="" controlslist="nodownload" preload="none" src="https://discourses.dhamma.org/oml/recordings/uuid/d6c3b1c1-2c6a-4db8-8de0-0c6ada1e2030.mp3" type="audio/mpeg">Your browser does not support the audio element.</audio>
- The sessions are also available in many other languages at this link: https://www.dhamma.org/en/about/mini_anapana